At Costa Rica Experts, we offer various transportation options to our travelers in the trip planning process. Many travelers will arrange for private drivers from destination to destination, with some domestic flights sprinkled in where appropriate. Other travelers would prefer the liberty of driving for parts or for the duration of their vacation. I would recommend getting a Costa Rica Expert’s opinion based on your preferred destinations while making the decision. Some destinations are a bit off the beaten path and can be challenging to navigate because of terrain or their remote setting.
If you are weighing the option of a car rental in Costa Rica, below are our tips for drivers and most frequently asked questions:
- You will need to provide your original passport and driver's license (no copies or photos) to the rental car company upon picking up your car.
- There is a 3-day minimum on all car rentals.
- Travelers must have a major credit card such as Visa, Mastercard, or Amex with enough credit to cover the deductible, no debit cards.
- SUV intermediate - manual transmission: Hyundai Tucson or similar
- SUV intermediate - automatic transmission: Hyundai Tucson or similar
- SUV standard - automatic transmission: Hyundai Santa Fe or similar
- SUV standard hybrid - automatic transmission: Mitsubishi Outlander
- SUV full size - automatic transmission: Mitsubishi Montero or Kia Mohave or similar
- SUV premium - automatic transmission: Toyota Land Cruiser Prado or similar
- Minivan - manual transmission: Hyundai H1 or similar
- Minivan - automatic transmission: Hyundai h1 or similar
If you encounter wildlife crossing the road, even if it is slow, do not try to move the animal. Stop and let it cross naturally.
If you encounter a wounded animal, it would be best to call an authority. Alternatively, note the location so that when you arrive at your hotel, you can let the front desk know. The hotel staff can then contact the appropriate parties.
People in Costa Rica let their dogs run free. Dogs will often walk along the road since there are not many towns with sidewalks, or they might cross the road unaware of traffic. Keep an eye out for them!
Renting a car is a personal decision, but it’s worth talking to a Costa Rica Expert to make an educated choice. Start your trip planning process from scratch or choose a pre-designed vacation package and customize it to meet your needs!