To stay current, our Costa Rica Experts frequently visit hotels and destinations so we can give our travelers first-hand travel advice. On my most recent trip, I visited the cloud forest, the Gulf of Nicoya, the South Pacific Coast, and Manuel Antonio National Park. This trip is fantastic for honeymoons, anniversaries, best friend getaways, birthdays, or for a family vacation with adult children. Here’s an overview of my trip and why I love each of these hotels!
El Silenco Lodge and Spa – Bajos del Toro, Costa Rica
Located in the mountains about 1 and ½ hours outside of San Jose, this small luxury is one of our favorite locations in Costa Rica. El Silencio Lodge and Spa is surrounded by a private cloud forest nature reserve with well-maintained hiking trails leading to secluded waterfalls. The nearby town of Bajos del Toro offers a glimpse into traditional Costa Rican life and culture. Gourmet cuisine and perfect wine pairings are presented in a casual setting.
Why I LOVE it:
- Lesser known cloud forest with off the beaten track vibe
- Private Jacuzzi on your balcony for relaxing after hiking the trails
- Unique private dining experiences on their riverside deck
- Authentic cultural interactions and experiences
- Organic garden and onsite trout farm provides the kitchen with fresh produce and fish
- Easy access from the San Jose International Airport
E Silencio Culinary Highlights:
Isla Chiquita Glamping Resort – Gulf of Nicoya, Costa Rica
Access the magical little island of Isla Chiquita off the Nicoya Peninsula by private yacht from Puntarenas on the Central Pacific Coast. “Safari-style” tents with king beds, private bathrooms, and spacious outdoor terraces will keep you cozy and comfortable. Glamping is NOT camping! Meals are simple but refined and always delicious. A laid-back, barefoot atmosphere compliments a wide variety of unique touring options to keep you stimulated. Explore secluded beaches by boat, kayak around the island in perfectly calm waters, visit Curu Biological Reserve to look for monkeys and wildlife or just relax in a hammock for the whole day.
Why I LOVE it:
- Feels like a family beach house on a secluded private island and not a typical tourist destination
- Opportunity to explore the local fishing culture and catch your own fish for dinner
- Bio-luminescence adventure offered on dark nights is an incredible natural phenomenon
- Personal service by a loving staff makes you part of the family
- Genuine concern about caring for the environment and surrounding wildlife
- Private massage area with Jacuzzi and panoramic views
Isla Chiquita Culinary Highlights:
Rancho Pacifico Luxury Rainforest Resort – Uvita, Costa Rica
A 20 minute 4×4 ride off the main road and up the mountain brings you to Rancho Pacifico Hotel on the South Pacific Coast. The stunning setting 2000 feet above the ocean offers some of the most incredible views anywhere in Costa Rica! Stay in an upscale treehouse or private villa with plunge pool. If you have a larger party, 2 and 3 bedroom villas are available. Your rainforest hiking adventure begins steps away from the lobby, take your pick from a selection of trails ranging from easy to difficult. The area of Uvita and nearby Ojochal are top foodie destinations with many incredible restaurant options.
Why I LOVE it:
- Friendly and professional staff looks after every detail
- Cool ocean breezes offer natural air conditioning
- Four course themed dinners available every night
- Excellent wine list with reasonable pricing
- Variety of tour options including a day visit to the Osa Peninsula for Corcovado National Park
- Adults only!
- Stay in your own exclusive Treehouse
- Hiking the whales tail sandbar in Marino Ballena National Park is not to be missed
Rancho Pacifico Hotel Highlights:
Arenas del Mar Beachfront and Rainforest Resort – Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Arenas del Mar Beachfront and Rainforest Resort is one of the best luxury resorts in Costa Rica with one of the best locations. Not only is Arenas del Mar located in a private rainforest reserve with direct beach access, it is also within walking distance of the Manuel Antonio National Park. Views of the ocean and national park are incredible! Suites offer large terraces with Jacuzzis, king size beds with fine linens, and all of the amenities you expect at a five-star resort. The resort has 2 restaurants – one serving gourmet breakfast and dinner and the other offering casual lunch on the beach.
Why I LOVE it:
- Lively fun atmosphere
- Direct beach access with chairs and service on the beach
- Top notch guides on site to take you on hiking and natures tours
- On property wildlife opportunities – especially love the bird watching and night walks
- Tico Minibar stocked with complimentary snacks and beverages (love the local Kombucha)
- Tortilla making class is fun and interactive
- Attention to environment and sustainability is a focus… no plastic straws!
- Thoughtful culinary options such as afternoon tea and in-room antipasto and cheese plates
Wildlife Spotted on the Morning Birdwatching Hike:
Visit these destinations on our Costa Rica Vacation Celebration itinerary:
Let us handle all of the details so you can just enjoy your special occasion with your family and/or friends. This itinerary is great for a honeymoon, anniversary, best friend getaway, significant birthday party or a family trip with adult children. If you are traveling with children under 18 contact us for a customized version.